Why Orthodontic Treatment is Important
Crooked and gapped smiles come in many shapes and sizes. For the most part, crooked teeth are hereditary, depending on the size of your jaw. In some cases, your teeth can get bent out of shape from outside factors.
Things like losing your baby teeth too soon, gum disease, jaw injuries, sucking on your thumb as a child, and even tumors in the mouth can cause your teeth to shift.
Do you have an underbite, overbite, or teeth that erupted sideways? No matter your age, it’s not too late to get all the benefits of Invisalign®️.
You might be curious why you need orthodontic treatment at all if you’re happy with your smile. The answer is that crooked teeth are more than just a cosmetic issue and straightening your teeth with Invisalign can benefit your health in several ways.
6 Ways Straight Teeth Affect Your Health
- Easier to clean — Crooked teeth trap food, allowing plaque to build up easier. This increases your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Crooked teeth are also difficult to clean and can shred your floss.
- Better digestion — Crooked teeth can make it tough to chew your food, often leading to stomach problems. Improperly chewing your food is directly correlated to acid reflux, which rots your teeth and dries out your mouth in addition to hurting your throat.
- Less likely to break — Straight teeth are less likely to chip and break because your bite will close regularly. When your teeth stick out in different directions, they’re more susceptible to break under pressure. Even something as simple as accidentally biting down too hard can lead to chips and breaks when your bite is uneven.
- Improved speech — Crooked teeth and misaligned bites are a typical source of speech impediments. Lisps and whistling while talking are often caused by crooked teeth. It can be difficult to speak confidently when you suffer from speech problems. Not to mention, others may have trouble understanding you.
- Get rid of headaches — A crowded jawline leads to uneven wear in your teeth. Unevenly worn teeth put a lot of stress on your jaw, leading to headaches and TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder).
- Increased happiness — When you’re comfortable with your smile, you’ll be more likely to speak and act in a positive manner. Not to mention, smiling causes a chemical chain reaction that releases dopamine in your brain, a neurotransmitter that makes you feel happy and relaxed.
Visit Dr. Grussmark for Straight Teeth
No matter your age, your teeth continue to shift as your jaw changes. Sometimes these shifts can lead to negative side effects. With Invisalign, you can straighten your smile and stop putting your teeth and jaw under unnecessary stress.
You’re never too old for straight teeth, and fixing these problems is easy with Invisalign. Call one of our three offices in the Miami area and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Grussmark today.